Tricks and Treats:
Halloween can be a great time to get some treats, but can also have some tricks that are not so fun.
Here are some things to watch out for!
Candies, gums, mints, baked goods, and chocolate containing the "sugar free" sweetener, xylitol, are poisonous to pets! It causes rapid hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and liver failure in dogs and other pets.
Chocolate is toxic too. Baking chocolate is especially bad, and has more severe side effects, but all chocolate is harmful. Chocolate toxicity can cause tremors, nervousness,vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, and in severe cases seizures and death.
Other candies such as lollipops and those with plastic pieces can cause intestinal obstruction and even rupture the intestines, which is a life threatening emergency!
Halloween costumes are cute, but present a hazard to pets. A pet in costume should never be left alone. A good rule of thumb- if you want to dress your pet make sure that nothing is pinching or impeding movement, and that they can do everything they would normally do while wearing it. Elastics can get tight & cause swelling and pain. If the costume is chewed on it could cause intestinal obstructions.
It's the Grim Reaper!
Strangers in costume can frighten some pets so they may become fearful or aggressive unexpectedly. Keep an eye on them at all times, or keep them put somewhere where all the commotion will not cause them anxiety.
Candles and Jack-o lanterns can be a fire hazard. Wagging tails or frightened cats can knock over candles or carved pumpkins, causing burns or a fire.
Keep pets indoors Halloween night, especially black cats. Animals are at risk for cruel treatment by some Halloween pranksters.
Some humane societies and adoption agencies will not even allow black cats to be adopted around Halloween for this reason.
Just follow these tips and have a safe and